Select your language

Országház utca 29. - Nándor utca 4. (No. 29 Országház Street - No. 4 Nándor Street)

No. 29-27 Országház street, 1910Originally this was a neo-Classical style corner building at the southern side of the junction of Országház and Nándor Streets. It was constructed around 1820 on the site formally occupied by a medieval house, which was demolished in 1686. Originally the entrance opened from the side of Országház Street. In 1935 the building was entirely rebuilt, and a new entrance and staircase were opened on the side facade. The Országház Street frontage is eight bays long, while the Nándor Street facade is twelve; both are punctuated by a cornice, a full-length string-course and a sill moulding.

Interesting elements of the current building are the windows upstairs, as well as the sculpture of a "floating" nun beneath the corner window, which is the artwork of Imre Varga, commemorating the former inhabitants of the street from the Clarissa Order. A memorial tablet is also placed on the frontage of Országház Street, commemorating the former Diet.

No. 4 Nándor  street